Sunday, February 1, 2015

My husband's a really smart guy. This is just one of the many things I love about him. We had lunch together yesterday. something we haven't done in such a long time. What's even nicer is the space it created for conversation. I think we talked more in those few hours than in the last three weeks combined. (I'm not really sure that's true, but we really talked a lot.)

He told me about a recent meeting he had with friends from his church, and shared with me some of his observations. We discussed atheism and agnosticism and apologetics, and it brought to mind something I'd thought about last week. I interpreted a sermon in which my favorite pastor spoke on the difference between faith and science, how Creationists have one set of beliefs and Evolutionists have yet another, but for him, the best set is a combination of both - that perhaps the evolutionary process was set in motion by the Divine.

I'm not always able to retain what I interpret, but every once in a while, something will stick in my head and later, pop back into my consciousness. That's what happened last week when Rev. Wes' words popped back into my head. Once upon a time, we believed beyond the shadow of a doubt that the world was flat. We didn't even consider proving it. What was there to prove? The world is flat. End of story. So what if your beliefs about God were like that? What if one day, you were to wake up with an insight that caused you to look upon your previous beliefs as something akin to the flat world concept?

What if: That's my spirituality. I don't have it all figured out, and I don't feel any need to. I don't think 'figuring it all out' is a requirement of this incarnation, and if I'm being honest, I'm a little skeptical of those who claim they have. Really, you've got it all figured out? I want to ask. You're sure of that?

For instance, is there life on other planets? No, you believe we're the only ones? You're sure of that? Maybe life here, on Earth, is just one of the many experiences our soul can choose. And why is that such a hard concept to grasp? Sometimes we're too afraid to let go of our particular religious life raft for fear we'll drown.

I don't mean to be harsh. I only know that I am loved. I know we all need to be loved, and that we're all in this together. I believe that we're watched over, and that at our very core, we each carry within us the essence of the Divine.

I don't really know much more, and I'm okay with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment